Tuesday, March 08, 2005


Why do I live where I live?

_Jon over at We Swear asked the following:

1) Why do you live where you live? 2)Where would you like to live? 3) What is keeping you from living there, really?

I live in Northern Illinois, in the dying city of Rockford. I was summoned born here and lived most of my life here. The only time I left is when I spent 3.5 years in college getting my degree. I was a nerd and wanted to get in the work force early so I graduated a semester early. I started my first career here and stayed in the area. I have since moved on to a second, not related career. Through my current job I have had the opportunity to move all over the states of Illinois, Texas, New Mexico and now possibly Oklahoma. And I would do this for one factor. My Wife and kids. My oldest boy is actually my step-son (He's mine, I don't care about biology or the fact his Bio-father is still in the picture, anyone that says different can burn in a very special level of Hell), Due to the divorce decree between my wife and her ex if we moved out of state, her ex would get custody (If he moved out of state, we would get custody). Right now we have joint custody. I don't want to give him up and I would NEVER ask my wife to do such a thing. So leaving the state is not an option. And If we move too far away we still would have to drive back every weekend for the exchange of the oldest boy. Unfortunately until he turns 18, we are kind of stuck. Personally I would rather move further north, I love Wisconsin, I am a Green Bay Packer fan and all. I think it gets too warm here in the summer. I like it cold. I'm a cold weather kind of guy. If I moved I would miss my friends and extended family, but I wouldn't miss my parents dropping in unannounced and unexpected at all times of the day. Also if I moved I'd like to move someplace that has more re-enactments for me. It's a hobby I really enjoy and I would love to be able to do more in a year then I do now.

So the Cliff-Notes answers are:

1) Due to custody reasons.
2) Someplace to the north or has more re-enactments.
3) Custody reasons.