Wednesday, April 20, 2005


My child is multi-lingual

The other night my family and I where sitting around the dinner table having our normal dinner conversation.
My wife and I to the kids, “Clone, Don’t throw food on the floor.”

“Boopie, EAT!” (Boopie is the only kid I know that refuses to eat; it takes him 30 plus minutes to eat a hamburger. He will stare off into space with a mouth full of food and not chew it unless you remind him.)

“Clone, Stop squishing your green beans into a paste.”

“Boopie, Chew with your mouth closed.”

“Clone, no more cheese until you eat your meat and vegetables.”

“Boopie, Sit right, face forward and EAT!”

Etc.


In the middle of this, Clone turns, looks at me, and in that funky African Bush language with the clicking noises asked for what I think was chicken (Because that is what he was pointing at). I swear he started making that clicking sound in the middle of his sentence as part of the words. As in:

“Dada, Mo(click) dabit(click, click)anaw aye eat(click)ar”

All activity stopped at the table my wife and I stare at Clone. He just grins back at me as if saying, “That’s right Pops, I can speak the funky clicking language. NOW get me my chicken Beaotch!” I could not help but to laugh at him.

He hasn’t done it since, and I don’t know if it was a fluke or if he just hasn’t had the urge to speak in African bush lingo. I really wish I had a tape recorder going at the time, because you could tell it wasn’t an accidental set of noises.