Tuesday, April 05, 2005


It's a hobby AND a career!

I have found the perfect job for me. I just have to move my family to Norway!

OSLO, Norway - Help wanted: Vikings. Must be friendly, tourist-oriented and
interested in ancient Norse traditions.

According to this article, they are looking for people to portray Vikings for history presentations. You all know I portray a Scot when doing my re-enactments. However the other half of my blood line is Norwegian. I’ve wanted to do more with that side of my blood lines. For the period I do, it would be difficult to historically justify the character. Justifying the Scot takes a lot of work as it is.

I have very Nordic features, especially in the face. I have no problem with facial hair and would be willing to grow my hair out. I would even supply my own costuming and weapons! The need to learn to speak Norwegian may be a problem; I don’t think my English Midwestern dialect would convince anyone I’m a Viking. I can’t even do a very good Norwegian accent. Hell, I can’t even pull off a passable Minnesota accent, doncha know.

But the center is seeking to play down the Scandinavian Vikings' reputation as
wild, murderous looters who pillaged and burned through much of Europe, a claim
Kobro said was largely exaggerated in texts left by ancient English monks.


This is the only problem with this position. They are trying to soften the Viking image by not portraying the raping and pillaging. I can understand that, there is more to them then just the majestic long boats, long hafted axes and the sturdy swords. Not every Viking sailed with the likes of Harlod Hardrada. Many did stay home and do the less glorious jobs. But portraying the pillaging would be real fun… You really can’t re-enact the raping with out having to make it an adult only show.

I wonder if I can find a job like this here in the US. I know most of the museum centers in our area use volunteers and do the wrong period. I guess I just have to wait to retire and travel the re-enacting circuit full time then.

Thanks to my wife for forwarding me this link. I just hope she’s not trying to get me to leave the country.