Thursday, March 24, 2005


Clone learns to Drive.

We had the first of Clone's birthday parties tonight. In my family you always have a party for the family and one for the friends. Tonight was the family party.

I had decided that Clone needed his own car this year. He has a little John Deere Gator he likes to ride on, but it's not the same. He needed something with more power. Something that could haul more. Something that moved itself. So I went on a shopping trip, and I treated it like anytime I buy a vehicle. I compared prices, packages and warranties. And decided on the vehicle I thought he would like. (And one he would be able to reach the peddles. I found a corvette racer that was really cool, it even came with a real working AM/FM radio. It also had a cup holder, I'm all about the cup holders. However it was way too big for him). Unfortunately there was some assembly required for the model that I bought.

Last night after Clone went to sleep, I started assembling his new vehicle. I wanted him to be able to play with it today. While my wife and Anathematized1 watched survivor, and some really nasty cosmetic surgery show afterwards (That's for a different post), I assembled the vehicle. It wasn't too bad to put together. I only had one mishap and I was able to rectify it.

This morning, when my wife brought him down to get dressed. He saw the new vehicle. He instantly wanted it. Chanting, "Car, car, I want car!" He nearly out muscled my wife, leapt off the changing table half naked and tried to run for the vehicle. He was only half successful. My wife was able to get him dressed, the whole time he kept staring at the vehicle. Finally, she was finished, he hit the ground running. He climbed up into the vehicle and was happy. The battery was still charging so he couldn't go anywhere yet. He didn't care, he was just happy with his new toy and pushing the forward/reverse buttons. The problem came when we had to leave. I had to pry him from his new toy and he was not at all happy. All the way to my parents house he cried "car, car, I want car!!!" and he gave us the look that only a small child can give their parents. That "Why must you torture me? What have I done that is so horrible that you deny me this simple wish. All I want is (insert item). You gave it to me and then took it away" look.

When we got home tonight, he was so happy to have his new vehicle. Here is getting ready to drive it for the first time.

Clone's wild Ride

Click to enlarge


I figured Machelle would be happy since it is a Ford. So he now has his very own truck. Grandpa has a truck, I have a truck and now Clone has a truck. (See the pattern? I'm not kidding, the apple didn't fall far from the tree.)He was truckin' around the back yard. He hasn't quite managed to figure out how to steer it and he is just a little too short to reach the peddle. He drove it for about 5 minutes before he got into his first accident. He plowed right into Boopie, his older brother. He did however master the art of the burn out. He would get those tires to spin and kick up dirt pretty easily. He'd be burning up the backyard and I'd have to run along side to turn it. He kept his hands out the side. I tried to get pictures of that, but they all turned out blurry. Plus the weather went south and it was starting to rain.

I'm still trying to get him to call it a truck, not a car. I guess it doesn't really matter... But it's a truck!

Then there was cake and Ice cream. He loves his ice cream. What? You don't believe me? Let me enter into evidence peoples exhibit A:

Kitchen box

Click to enlarge

He had ice cream all over his face, in his hair, between his fingers, all over his clothes, IN HIS EAR. He started off eating the cake, but once he got a taste of the ice cream it was over. He didn't touch the cake anymore. He only wanted that frozen sugary sweet kiddy crack that made him feel oh so good.

Oh, don't try to take the fork away from clone when he's eating ice cream. He will stab you with it, even though I did try to distract him with cheesy poofs. Now you'll have to excuse me while I go to the ER to have stitches and explain how I was shanked by a 2 year old with a fork for trying to take his ice cream.