Tuesday, March 22, 2005


Being artsy and crafty.

Yesterday I got most of my new powder horn done. I got the horn plug fit, the quick measure attached, and the filling stopper installed. I had to let the epoxy dry for 24 hours before I moved onto the next phase. Tonight I should be able to finish it up and start on the strap for it. I started working on it Sunday afternoon forming the body and drilling most of the holes. If it wasn't for the fact that I had to run to the hardware store to pick up a special drill bit, I would have been done yesterday. Maybe I'll take a picture and post it so you can see my work. I'm pretty proud of myself I think it looks good, but I'm kind of biased since I made it.

Graumagus came over last night to visit and to return some rebuild disks for an e-machine. I also think he partly came by to see one of the new toys. However the toy he wanted to see was one I had to order. So I don't have it yet. Once I get it, I'll post pictures for everyone.

Due to the social interruption I didn't get very far into the other project I had set aside for me to do last night. That was to start wood burning a Celtic knotwork crescent moon into two of the doors of my wife's new kitchen box. I was getting started when Grau made his appearance. I don't get to see Grau too often so it was nice to visit with him and it was worth the interruption. However I'm thinking I may have to quarantine my house until all projects get done to prevent further interruptions.

Tonight I'll probably, hopefully, willingly be able to get both designs carved and burnt. I only have 31 days left until the next re-enactment. That means I only have 26 work days left to get all my tasks finished for the season opener.

I have a lot of stuff to do too; I have to find/make paper cartridge tubes so I can make more rounds for my musket. I have to order cannon fuse for the Howling Jezebel. I have to repair the damage to furniture from last year. I need to repair my Murdoch pistol, the frizzen won't open properly. I need to burn/engrave our initials into our new plates, cubs, bowls and flat ware. And I need to help my wife with the costuming.

Now for my obstacles; Easter, Clone's birthday, Two social events I'm committed to, going live fire black powder shooting with one of my friends, work (belch, I wonder if they'd let me take a one month leave of absence :)), playing with the boys and of course taking time to woo my wife so she doesn't realize she deserves better then me. (She really settled when she said "I do" at the church)

I'll get it all done, I know I will. How do I know? Well I do this every year. This year I gave myself a month to work with, not the normal week that I usually give myself. All this work is worth it because I really enjoy my hobby and I'm actually enjoying doing the artwork/craftwork. I've never been good at arts and crafts so this surprises me.

As I wrote this I started thinking, you all know about my hobby. But I'm not sure what any of your hobbies are. No one really posts about them, and I find that kind of strange. So if you all would be so kind as to share what hobbies or crafts you do I would appreciate that. Just put it in my comments, or if it's long, post it and track back to this post. That is if you don't mind sharing a little bit more of yourself with me.