Thursday, April 07, 2005


Almost time to go!

In 12 days I will have to finish repairing and packing all of my re-enactment gear into boxes, making sure everything is read to go. My wife and I need to make sure all of our costuming is washed and packed. I need to make sure all the equipment is in working condition and that the repairs I needed where done. We need to have the inventory of supplies for the weekend filled; including food and drink. In 12 days I have a lot of stuff to finish. Our kitchen box is done. Designed, stained, sealed and hardware installed. I finished my powder horn and possibles bag. Last night I finished cleaning all the firearms. I need a new flint for my Murdoch, but that will have to wait, hopefully I can get one out at the Gathering at Macktown. I’m test firing them next weekend to make sure they are all in a safe firing condition. I got confirmation that my new Blunderbuss will be arriving sometime next week. So I will need to make sure that is in firing condition. 12 days is not that far off.

In 13 days I have to load my vehicles with all the gear that I need. Two tents, one is a 10 foot by 12 foot Wall Tent with a 9 foot peak. The other is an 8 foot by 9 foot wedge tent/lean-to that I use for storage and for Boopie to sleep in. I also have a 10 foot by 16 foot fly that I set up in front of the wall tent as kitchen area. All are made of sturdy canvas. My wife has to have a heater for these cold events, so I will pack a kerosene heater and 10 gallons of kerosene just to keep her and the boys warm. (Left to my own devices I would sleep under blankets and skins to keep warm.) I have two trunks of clothes. There has to be enough costuming for my Wife, Boopie, Clone and myself to last for 4 days of re-enacting in the cold. I have to bring bedding for 2 adults, a 12 year old and a 2 year old. I have to have food for all of us. There are tables and chairs that need to go. We need to bring a kitchen box, lanterns, axes, cast iron Dutch ovens, skillets and fire irons so we can cook and eat meals. There will be a musket, two pistols, and a blunderbuss brought with so I can play in the battle. I need to bring the Mortar in order to get pictures of young lasses with it. I need the black powder and cleaning supplies for the weapons. The swords, knives, pole-arms and bayonets will be brought along for ceremony and display. Furs, hides and traps that are used to dress my camp will be brought along as well. I’m sure there are things I’m forgetting, but you get an idea. Fortunately this year I have a bigger truck to haul this equipment in. In only 13 days I’m going to have to pack all of these items into two vehicles.

In exactly 14 days from now, I will be antsy. I will be seeing if my wife can leave work early so we can get a head start out to the event. I won’t be of any use to anyone in my office as my brain won’t be there. The vehicles will be loaded and parked out in the parking lot, ready to go straight to the event. I will want to get everything set up so we can start having fun. I want to get out there so I can catch up with friends I haven’t seen in months, some since last October. I want to listen to other peoples stories, and tell some of my own. My need to escape is almost overwhelming. A primal desire deep in my soul is calling me to the campfire. I can smell the smoke from the fire, the forest, the canvas, the burning of black powder and the food cooking now. I can hear the animals, the sounds of musket fire and of craftsmen; the blacksmith’s hammer, the bow maker’s lathe, the rope maker’s trundle and the silver smiths file; The sound of musicians playing songs of old on the guitar, fiddle and bodhran. I can barely contain myself. 14 days is way too long to wait!