Tuesday, April 12, 2005


Water of Life.

I was out looking at blogs I don’t check daily, when I found a post over at Ninjababes’ Ramble that caught my interest, Whisky School. I checked the link out and this sounds like it would be right up my alley. You get to spend three days learning hands on how the distilling process works by making whisky in Scotland. As part of it, you get to keep 9 liters of the whisky you made, after it ages. I would love to be able to do this. It sounds like fun. I could even tie this into my re-enacting!

For two to three years I’ve wanted to make a replica period still and make the Water of Life out at the events. The problems I have had is that I don’t have a way to make a period still and I don’t know how to operate it. Now I can get books to learn how, that’s easy enough. Getting a period still…. That’s a completely separate problem. My father at one time offered to have his shop make one for me if I could find a design. I never found the design (I didn’t look very hard), and my father retired.

One of these days, I will be making whisky out at the events. That should get one heck of a reaction out of the public! Then again, I won’t be able to keep the other re-enactors out of camp.