Friday, June 03, 2005


Time for a new profession, in 1756

A part of my newfound freedom as a re-enactor, I have decided to make a change in my persona. Yesterday I was given some information that led me to some relatively cheep copper stills. I am purchasing one and starting over as Seamus MacPhail, Indian Agent… er wait, no, wrong profession. I am going to start portraying a distiller. It is something that happened rather frequently back then, yet you don’t see too many people portraying one. Okay, I have never seen anyone portray one in 8 years. The idea has floated around in my head for the last year or two of making a still and doing this at various events, but the initial cost was prohibitive.

With these smaller cheaper stills, I can set up at events and start making whisky. Well I won’t actually make whisky because I won’t have enough time at each event to make the mash and distilling the whisky into anything remotely drinkable. That and various local, state and federal agencies that say it is illegal. Mainly what I’ll be doing is distilling water just for demonstration purposes and pretend it is whisky.

It’s going to cost me some money to get started, but once I purchase the still, some oak barrels and an unhealthy supply of corn, that should be it. When I get to the events, I shouldn’t have a problem getting any other re-enactors to play along with my making of “moonshine”. The favorite pastime out there after hours is round upon round of “pass the bottle”. Plus they will have too much fun with the idea of a Scot making Whisky. I’m just going to destroy the image of Scots being quiet, sober, peace-loving, law-abiding individuals.

My wife isn’t overly thrilled with the idea of my being a “moon shiner”. She does understand my desire to do something unique and rare. After a compromise, she is willing to accept my desire to be a distiller. Especially since my second choice was Slave trader. I guess the thought of having the stigma that she would be “Mrs. Slave Trader” was too much for her. Not that it really matters. Now that I think of it, back in 1756, she does not have an opinion; she was nothing more then my chattel. If she didn’t watch herself, I would have to put her in her place with the business side of my hand to teach her proper respect for her husband.

Ahhh, the good ol’ days, making whisky and beating your wife.