Tuesday, May 31, 2005


Maybe I have ADD.

I hate the first day back to work after a rendezvous. It seems to drag on forever. I ‘m tired and my muscles are sore from the packing and unpacking, but it’s a good kind of soreness. I sit at my desk trying to work, but all I can think about is the fun I had over the weekend. The activities I did and the people I talked with at the range or around the campfire. I cannot keep my head out of the clouds and focus on the tasks in front of me.
It’s funny how ‘vous time moves at least three times as fast regular time. In the amount of time I’ve spent working on reports today, it feels like it was equivalent to an entire day of re-enacting.

There wasn’t as much tension in the camp as last time. There was some still there. I’m starting to think I’m either part of the problem or at least somehow involved. Either way my original solution, of leaving the group, will still work. I spoke about it briefly with the members that where there on Friday and Saturday nights. No one was really caught off guard, so I’m going to take that as a good sign. I explained it has nothing to do with the members of the group. They are all my friends and I very much want to keep it that way. I just want to have fun, and with the tension in camp and the problems with doing the registration for the group, I’m starting not to have fun. There is also the issue with the fact that what I want to do is now differing from what the rest of the group wants to do. My personal goals for re-enacting are so different from everyone else in the groups that it is a detriment to my ability to fulfill them.

I have been courted on a couple of times to join other groups. I just don’t think I want to go that route again. If I’m going to leave a group filled with friends, I don’t think I want to join another group filled with strangers. Therefore, if I do decide to leave I will remain independent.

The other thing I discovered this weekend was that I could make a 2X4 explode by shooting it with my musket. I was trying to cut a playing card in half sideways at 15 feet. I missed and hit the 2X4 that was holding the card in place. It exploded and showered wood shards down upon the other shooters, judges and myself. The public watching thought this was great and cheered. The range master didn’t seem to be too thrilled with the fact that I destroyed his range. He did however tell me how much he loved the public’s and other re-enactors' reaction to my shot. He started calling me Beaver all weekend “because I chew wood”. He’s a good guy and ended up coming to camp a couple of times just to hang out.

Harvey and TNT showed up on Sunday. Grau decided we should take them down to the range to show them black powder fun. Grau let both of them fire his rifle. I let Harvey try a round out of my musket. Even though the blast made him take a step back, he didn’t do too badly. He hit a log in front of the deer target causing the bullet to bounce up into a killing shot. I’m hoping his arm doesn’t hurt too much, but he was rubbing it after the shot. Unfortunately, TNT just wasn’t able to fire my Brown Bess. She was only an inch taller then it was. I tried to have her shoulder it; the pull from the trigger to the butt was too long for her to be able to safely and accurately fire it. I gave each one of them a souvenir .735 cal round ball. I don’t know what made them more disturbed, the fact that they where holding my balls, or that I pulled out my ball sack to show them where they came from. Now before you go having dirty thoughts, my ball sack is a bull’s scrotum… er never mind, it’s exactly what you are thinking. Harvey was really excited when I told him he could pet my wife’s Beaver. We had just purchased a new beaver pelt for her and she was showing it to everyone. I figured it was only fair that if TNT could hold my balls that Harvey should be allowed to pet my wife’s beaver. It was nice to see them again. However, this time I don’t think TNT was trying to figure out if she could kill me. I think she was more trying to figure out how to get even with Harvey for dragging her out on a cold and rainy Sunday to watch a bunch of dirty smelly Scots shoot black powder and eat dried or pickled food. I’m thinking we may get Harvey hooked into re-enacting yet. I caught him eyeing more then one lass in a bodice with her juberlees pushed way up.

Now I have to get ready to do another re-enactment this weekend. This one is in town and shouldn’t be too far away. I’m doing this one independent of Clan Chattan, so I’ll see how it goes.